How to Make a Minky Blanket

Last time I posted about the flannel blanket that I made for my future niece. And well, when I picked up that fabric I couldn't resist when I saw this owl printed fabric and minky to match!  So I purchased a yard of each to make a cozy blanket for her too! 



People have said that some babies and kids can get really attached to blankets so instead of making one really big blanket I opted to make two smaller ones.  Great for traveling,  when one is in the wash, or if something happens to one! 
To make your own,  all you need is:
- 1 yard satin fabric
- 1 yard minky fabric
- sewing thread
- pins
- sewing machine 
Sewing this blanket used many of the same steps as the flannel blanket post. The only caveat I have is that minky fabric stretches and satin does not. So it's hard to ensure that the minky is lined up well with the satin.  
To get started cut your fabric to the size you want.  Place the right sides together.  Pin around the edges. To really keep it in place since the fabrics are so different,  I basted the fabrics.  This means that I used a loose hand stitch around the perimeter of the blanket to temporarily hold it together.  
Then I used the sewing machine to sew 3 sides together. For the fourth side I left a 4 inch opening so that I could flip the blanket back out. After sewing up each side I trimmed the excess fabric and cut the corners at 45 degrees.  
Once I flipped the blanket I ironed the flaps of the opening.  And then did a blind stitch by hand to close up the blanket.  
Here is the finished product. It's really soft and I hope that she likes it!





Comments

  1. What an adorable pattern for the little quilt! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment